Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Bridge of Sighs, Venice - SOLD

"The Bridge of Sighs"

6"x 8" Oil on gessoed board.

The painting is based on a photo from my trip to Italy and Greece in 2006. I was so blessed to have been given this trip by my parents. Mom and I went on a Collette Vacations combination cruise and bus trip, taking us to Milan, Lake Como, Venice, Santorini, the Island of Rhodes and Dubrovnik, Croatia, just to name the highlights.
My photos are so precious that I select them to paint from only on rare occasions. I think I'm subconsciously waiting to paint these scenes until I'm a "better" painter, feeling inadequate to communicate what was such a profound experience for me. My time in Venice was a mere half day, just long enough to give me a taste of it's beauty and to fall in love with it forever. This image has been in my "ready to paint" file for three years now and I see this as a study in the future for something larger.

sold

4 comments:

Rick Nilson said...

I can't wait to see what you paint like with a little bit of experience. Keep it up. I think I am seeing improvement.

Lauren Maurer said...

This is gorgoeus! I say you're more than good enough to bust out all those pictures and get started!

Dana Cooper said...

I love this painting exactly as it is Marilyn! Your attachment to this really show...well done!

Edward Burton said...

This is absolutely beautiful, Marilyn - Sargent would be pleased. I feel exactly the same way about my travel photos - just waiting till I'm a better painter to do them justice.