Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ally at Surfside Beach - SOLD

"Ally Sees a Crab"

5"x 7" Oil on oil primed linen panel.
Click on images to enlarge.

sold

My husband and I met Alley on the beach and she was delighted to see her first blue crab. Her excited expression was priceless as Kenn held the live crab up for her to see.

What a difference I've found painting on oil primed linen! The seagull painting that I did earlier and this one are my first experiences with this surface. The paint just guides on similar to the Ampersand Gessoboard that I love. I dislike painting small paintings on gessoed linen or canvas due to the texture and absorbency. As I struggled with my previous beach scene on gessoed canvas and then painted this on the new panels, I experienced all the difference in the world!!!!

I found these new linen panels online at Jerry's Artarama made by Centurion. ( Centurion OP DLX ) Now on sale until June 15th. If you are looking for 6x8 sizes the canvas pads are available in this hard to find size.
I know that I'm a bit slow - I've heard that it is a wonderful thing, painting on oil primed linen, but it's a bit pricey. These panels are quite reasonable in all sizes and I also bought some canvas pads of the same canvas and finish. I may become addicted.

6 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

I do believe that your supports can make a huge difference in your results...and this proves it! Thanks for the info.

Debbie said...

I'm loving all of your beach paintings! They make me wish I was there!!! Thanks for sharing your info about your linen panels too, I love to hear about things like that!!

belindadelpesco.com said...

I can see why this is sold. You captured the sun and wind and excitement on such a tiny canvas. It's wonderful.

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

What a gorgeous painting! And I too appreciate that info more than you know. Thank you!

Edward Burton said...

Hi Marilyn, love the beach scenes - especially this one - what a wonderful expression you captured! I'll have to check out those panels.

Carol Blackburn said...

I love this one, Marilyn. Love painting of children and their expressions and sometime strange positions.