8"x 8" oil on gessoed board
Details of finished painting.
I’ve mentioned before the difficultly that I have in painting flowers. While at a friend’s I saw her lovely flowers in the yard and asked to cut some––they so inspired me to try my hand at flowers again. I gathered all the similar flower paintings in my "favorites" file on my computer and studied them planning my approach. I wanted to see the sunflowers as mere shapes. You will note a problem in the first painting. Before completing the flowers I realized the cup was too tightly rendered relative to the rest of the piece. Also the background mud was about as appealing as baby poop and not showing off the yellow flowers. After working over a 2-3 day period, I set it aside to dry not knowing whether I would finish it and was very unhappy with the direction it was heading. Last night I started painting over the flowers and darkening the background changing it to a purple gray. With the flowers I worked back and forth with negative and positive spaces and tried to use bolder strokes. Proceeding to the cup and foreground, I softened and smeared edges to loosen it a bit. The greatest change is in the cup. All in all it was a great learning exercise. Next I will again try roses. I just must quit avoiding flowers!