Thursday, September 25, 2008

Candy Apple - SOLD

Click on image to enlarge.

5"x 7" Oil on Ampersand Gessoboard.

Kenn and I went to the North Georgia State Fair again this year and I brought this apple home to paint. I almost waited too long (only two days) because the candy part began melting even though the weather has been very cool. I had planned on painting the apple unwrapped, but due to the candy coating thinning, I left it wrapped and I'm now sure that it led to a much better painting. We make our plans and life happens. I like this piece so much I will be sad to part with it. The subject of the candy apple represents so many memories - the minute I step inside the fairground I feel like a kid again.

Kenn and I were delighted to take as many as 600 shots at the fair this time. I think I have some great subjects for some larger paintings if I can make the time.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Marilyn, Very nice!! It must have been very challenging to paint the apple in the wrapper, but, I agree, it turned out more interesting this way. I have seen other paintings of candy apples, but never a wrapped one!

Rick Nilson said...

Sweeet.

Marilyn M. King said...

Thanks guys.

Anonymous said...

This is a fun piece. You've taken something associated with lightness and whimsy and elevated it with a formal treatment. Leaving the wrapper on was a good move and what a beautiful job on painting the transparent plastic! Really gives me the "just back from the fair" feeling.

Marilyn M. King said...

Thanks, Jennifer. It was very fun for me to paint, I guess that can show through sometimes. The plastic wrap was not as difficult to paint as expected and it really "makes" the piece.

Marilyn M. King said...

Why, Nancy, aren't you nice! That is such a nice compliment and much appreciated. I like that word "fresh", a very good thing to achieve.

Dar Presto said...

It's terrific!
Food on a stick...that's what state fairs are for.