Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pomegranate Makeover-Sold

"Pomegranate and Blue Tin" (revised)

5" x 7" Oil on board.

A new hair style, augmentation, and a facial and the once ugly pomegranate is change into a beautiful, delectable star of the show. (can you tell I was watching the STYLE channel while revising this painting?)

Being focused on the tin box in my first version, I failed to see how unattractive this pomegranate was. I warmed the color, changed the shape and opened the crown to give a much better appearance, working over the first fruit image. The left edge of the tin was straightened a bit as well. So much better!! Now I can move on.

sold

5 comments:

susan hong-sammons said...

gorgeous paintings. You make a huge impact with this small scale. Glad to have found your blog.

Dana Cooper said...

Both paintings are quite nice Marilyn, but I would agree that the opened pomegranate is more interesting. Love the tin can and the story behind it!

Debbie said...

Marilyn, What a difference those few small changes made! I love how the opening crown seems to be reaching towards the light.

Autumn Leaves said...

I hope it wasn't because I said, "What pomegranate?!" I was being silly because I just love these old tin boxes and especially this one as it was beaten within an inch of its life to become the lovely model for the first painting! At any rate, this pomegranate does look much better, more fresh and I hadn't noticed the slight downturn on the edge of the tin first time around. I can see the change and it was a good one. Still, I just like them both very much. What great colors!

Rick Nilson said...

This painting is really exquisite. I marvel at your work.