Monday, September 15, 2008

Sarah's Apple (now "Apple and a Half") SOLD


Click on image to enlarge.

5"x 7" Oil on gessoed panel.

Today is October the 6th and I'm posting a revised painting. The image below shows the painting that was on ebay and not sold. I think cleaning up the natural blemishes will appeal to more people so I made a few changes. This is the final final painting!
I'm posting on ebay again tonight, we'll see if there is more interest.

Click on image to enlarge.

This is the final painting after all changes/work on the whole apple. The progression is seen below and this painting has been posted the day after the original post. This photo is the closest in color for the apple and is a little cool for the background ( the correct background color is somewhere between yesterday's final and this pic ). I've not changed the background at all since yesterday's post, what a difference in photo's!

More "farm" fruit. These apples were covered with spots and blemishes, and I wonder if rendering those spots makes the painting look dirty. To me, the natural state of these apples right off the tree is what was so appealing.

I began my painting with an oil under-painting of thinned raw umber and burnt sienna. I then painted in the background color and table.

I added spots of color to the apples and knife to be blended later. The table was further defined.

Click on image to enlarge

This background color is closest to the original, but the apple color is a little cooler
than this, more toward alizarin crimson. I may have a bit more to do to the apple later and I'd love to take a better photo although I took about ten.

I couldn't think of a name, so what do you think? I don't know a Sarah, but it seems appropriate for an old world looking apple painting. I think my favorite thing to paint in these pieces is the wood table or sometimes wooden shelf. It's really an imagined table, but I do use a cutting board to help me visualize an old farm table.

5 comments:

Rick Nilson said...

mmk,

These 2 fruit paintings are wonderful works. The french title almost threw me. I am so proud of myself for catching the connection to "HOOTERS". very suttle.

Debbie said...

Very nice!!!! and the photos of your progress really add to the enjoyment of viewing the finished work.. what is this one painted on?

Marilyn M. King said...

Rick, I'm glad you like these fruity works, I know it's not your favorite subject. I'm surprised that you got the Hooter's connection, but that is probably why you liked these.

Debbie, excuse us, Rick is my on-line, art director. Thanks for your compliments. The pears and apple are both painted on Ampersand Gessoboard. That's the same surface you have been using too, isn't it? I'm loving it, but need to get some larger panels. Rick demands it. I'd like to try painting on linen soon. I've never sprung for the extra cost, but hear it is so superior to canvas for the kind of work we do. What is your experience with linen?

Debbie said...

Marilyn, I had tried an oil primed linen panel, back in May or June I had painted an iris on one, and some violets on another. I found it very nice to work on once I got used to the oil primed surface, it was sort of "slippery" and completely non absorbent. I don't know much about other kinds of linen, but I hope to try them someday :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful work! My favorite part is the skin on that righthand apple. Wow!

Painting on linen is a joy. I especially like the finer weaves and/or oil primed. Expensive, yes-- no matter if you buy it prestretched or pre mounted or make your own panels. But I don't find Ampersand Gessoboard to be particularly inexpensive either, especially in the larger sizes. Thus continues my quest for the perfect surface that won't break the bank!