Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Tumbler - SOLD

Click on image to enlarge.

6"x 6" Oil on Ampersand Gessoboard.

I needed a break from produce paintings and so enjoyed painting these hydrangeas.
I've been wanting to paint this for a while and finally got my 6x6 panels from Jerry's. I'm loving this board by Ampersand and wonder if I'll every go back to canvas. This is another piece that I coated the board with black gesso to begin and I think the piece has a bit more depth as a result. In case you wonder, the black that you see in the painting is not the black gesso, but oil paint and is never black alone. Recently I put black back in my palette, but I never use it straight as it is always mixed with other colors. I am careful not to over use it, but after reading about some of my favorite artist's using black, I felt non-guilty using it again. Why do we feel that we have to follow other's rules in painting!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wonderful. Lovely use of color and light.

Susan said...

Marilyn, I just wanted to stop by and say how nice it was to chat with you today. Now that I have seen your work, I am somewhat embarrassed to have assumed you were just a casual artist. I see from your fabulous art, you are an extremely talented artist, so far out of my league that I now cringe since I so nonchalantly invited you to come by my little blog. It was a joy to meet you. Take care.

Susan @A Walk In the Park

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with J.Y. and Susan. You are extremely talented. Nonchalantly or no. You Roll and Tumble.

Marilyn M. King said...

Thanks, Jennifer,Susan and Rick for your most positive critiques! Susan, you stop by any time. I'm very impressed with your beautiful jewelry and your most creatively written blog.