Monday, August 4, 2008

On The Chopping Block - SOLD


Click on image to enlarge.

5"x 7" Oil on Ampersand Clayboard.

Painting this was more enjoyable than any recent work I've done. I think it must have been the new board that I really took to, although I purchased the "wrong" product by Ampersand. I meant to buy their gesso board which is very similar so, before opening the package, I went to the Ampersand site to make sure I could use this board for oils. The suggestion for use with oils was to give the board a coat of gesso.

So I experimented with another new product (for me) and found a wonderful way of painting! I used an undercoat of black gesso for the primer. I got the idea from the artist Karin Jurick who almost exclusively uses black to paint on. This painting looks like it took for ever and looks so detailed, but the painting just flowed off my brush and felt so natural to me. At first I wasn't sure that I was going to like it, but discovered that the paint dries faster on this surface. You can work back over areas that are semi wet in a very short period of time and really control the paint well. Thanks to Karin for her blog and inspiration.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marilyn,

This painting is great. I love it.

Debbie said...

Marilyn, this is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is fantastic.

Marilyn M. King said...

Thanks,thanks and more thanks, guys.

Anonymous said...

It sure looks good. Where is there black gesso and why do you feel that helps with the painting?

Marilyn M. King said...

Lisa or Bill, I got the black gesso at a crafts store here in Atlanta called Michael's. Don't know if these stores are in your area, but if this craft store carries it, then I would think art supplies stores certainly would. I don't know why the black background would help, I just wanted to give it a try because I love the look of Karin Jurick's paintings. I don't know if the smooth board or the black surface was what made this painting "pop" so much. We'll see when I use the same board, but grey underpainting.
Thanks for visiting, I just read about your blog from Peter Yesis's blog today! You guys are as funny as he declares.

neetzy said...

Delicious! I love summer tomatoes and I want to put this slice in between a couple of slices of bread with mayo. I think you are a definite success in painting if someone wants to eat your subject. You made it look delectable.

Anonymous said...

Marilyn, I hadn't visited in a while and viewed a landscape of yours the last time. But holy smoke! These still life studies are just phenomenal!

As are your detailed explanations of how you achieved your finished painting, gesso tips, various supports, etc.

You have really achieved some marvelous accomplishments and should be so happy with your work.
Tis' stunning!